Hobby Lobby says they are Christian. They say they love God. They claim that the reason they don’t want to pay for employee health insurance is that some of that money might end up paying for someone’s abortion, and they hate abortion. This is their argument:
1) If we pay for health insurance for our employees, that money goes into a pool of money that the health insurance company has to pay for things.
2) If that health insurance company covers abortions, then they might take some money out of that pool and give it to a hospital that performed an abortion.
3) Therefore, if we pay for health insurance for our employees it is the same as if we were paying for abortions.
As a result, they object, because they don’t want to pay for abortions.
This style of argument is common. This is the same logic that we use to deny public funding to Planned Parenthood, even though only a teeny tiny fraction of what Planned Parenthood does has anything to do with abortion. The logic is like this:
1) If public money goes to Planned Parenthood, then it goes into a big bucket with all of their other money.
2) Some part of the money in that bucket might get used to pay a doctor who performs an abortion.
3) Therefore, if any public money at all goes to Planned Parenthood in any way, then it is the same as if we are paying for abortions.
As a result, we object to public money going to Planned Parenthood, because we don’t want to pay for abortions. As you can see, the logic is impeccable.
Unfortunately, THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!!
Hobby Lobby buys some of its materials from Chinese companies! Now, everybody knows that Chinese companies pay money to the Chinese government in taxes, and the Chinese government forces women in China to have abortions.
Notice, this follows exactly the same logic:
1) If Hobby Lobby pays companies in China for their products, then that money goes into a big pool of money owned by the Chinese company.
2) If that Chinese company pays taxes, then some of their tax money will go toward GOVERNMENT-FORCED ABORTIONS IN CHINA.
3) Therefore, when Hobby Lobby buys products from China it is exactly as if Hobby Lobby is FORCING CHINESE PEOPLE TO GET ABORTIONS.
Clearly, as you can see, the logic is the same.
So, Hobby Lobby, I ask you this:
Why do you hate babies?
Why do you hate God?
Don’t you realize that the only way to be Godly–using the logic that you are using to deny employees health insurance–is to make everything yourself and not interact with the world economy at all?
Honestly, Hobby Lobby. I thought you were better than this.